Set up Counter Categories and the Counters to be used for making Counter Readings.
Set up Counter Categories to be used when you set up Counters on Assets. The Counter Categories required depend on which Counter registrations are relevant for your Assets. Examples are Counter Categories for production hours, quantity produced, and kilometers.
Counter Categories are set up on Counters. One Counter Category can be used on several Counters. One Counter can be used on several Assets, but an asset can only be related to one counter.
- On your role center, select Work Orders Setup > Counter Categories.
- In the Counter Categories list, select the New button.
- Enter a Code, which is the unique code for the Counter Category.
- Enter a Description for the Counter Category.
- Specify the Default Type (Continuous/Relative)*.
- In the Trend Days field, enter the number of days to be used when expected values are calculated in EAM. Expected values are used to show the trend for future Counter registrations, based on actual Counter registrations.
- In the Maximum Daily Change field, enter the maximum number allowed per Counter per day. This is useful if you want to prevent faulty registrations on a Counter.
- Example: If you enter the number "8", you can register a maximum of 8 hours (or another unit) per day. This can be done by one registration (=8), or you can make several registrations, for example, 4 registrations of 2 hours on the same day.
- If you don't want to set a limit for daily registrations, enter zero "0" in this field, then you can register as many hours (or another unit) as you like.
You can also create a Counter Category when you create a new Counter.
*This type will be automatically applied to the counter when you are specifying a Counter Category Code on the newly created counter - you can always change the Type on the counter manually during this creation process.
You set up and manage Counters on the Counters list or on the Asset Card. Examples of counters are number of running hours in operation or number of quantities produced.
On your role center, select Counters > Counters to open the Counters list.
In the sections below, the different tasks and options regarding Counters are described.
- On the Counters list, select New.
- Enter an ID for the counter in the No. field.
- Enter a name in the Name field.
- In the Counter Category Code field, select a code, or select New to create a new Counter Category.
- In the Max. Counter Reading field, enter the maximum value for the counter.
You can add one or more Counters to an Asset to register, for example, production hours or quantity produced. Note that if you add multiple Counters to the same Asset, you can only use a specific Counter Category once.
If the Asset has already been in use, and you want to register a counter value from a previous IT system, refer to the Off-Counter Usage article. An off-counter registration must be made before you mount a Counter.
- On the Counters list, select Actions > Counter Registration > Mount Counter.
- Select the Asset in the Asset No. field.
- Select Yes to save the Counter setup.
- If the selected counter has no counter readings, you see a message that allows you to create a first reading of '0'. Select "Yes" if you want to create a first reading with a '0' value.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to add more Counters to an Asset.
You can edit and delete Counters and Counter registrations. On the Counters list, select the Counter.
- Select Actions > Counter Registration > Reset Counter and enter a new Reading Value if you want to reset the selected counter. Select Yes to save.
- Select Manage > Edit List if you want to edit the selected counter.
- Select Manage > Delete if you want to delete the selected counter.